Westminster Abbey, London | Location, Directions, Getting There
Located right next to the Palace of Westminster, Westminster Abbey is a prominent religious structure in the entire United Kingdom. Ever since 1066, the coronation of William the Conqueror, all British Monarchs have been coronated here. With more than 3300 people buried here, the “Royal Peculiar” attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. If you’re planning a visit to Westminster Abbey, here’s all the information you need on its location and how to get there.
Westminster Abbey Location
Address: Westminster Abbey, 20 Deans Yd, London SW1P 3PA, United Kingdom
Nearest Landmark: Big Ben
Distance from Nearest Landmark: 200 m
Located in Dean’s Yard, Westminster Abbey shares history along with the other precincts present around it. There are also school buildings, a church house and other abbey offices located nearby. The entire complex sits close to the banks of the River Thames.Know About Westminster Abbey Opening Times
Getting to Westminster Abbey By Public Transport
- The bus routes 11, 24, 88, 148 and 211 pass by the Westminster Abbey entrance. You can get down directly in front of the abbey.
- The bus routes 3, 12, 53, 53X, 87, 109, 159 and 453 also stop close to Westminster Abbey.
- Nearby bus stops are Parliament Square stop (1-min walk), Abingdon Street - Stop L (4-min walk), Westminster Station - Stop G (4-min walk) and Westminster Station - Stop A (5-min walk).
- The nearest train stations are Victoria and Waterloo.
- From the Victoria Station, get onto Wilton Road. It is then a 15-minute walk to get to Westminster Abbey.
- From Waterloo Station, you will have to head towards Westminster Bridge. It should take you about 18 minutes to get to Westminster Abbey from Waterloo station.
- The nearest underground stations are at St. James Park and Westminster.
- From the St. James Park Station, get onto Victoria Street/A302. It is a short 5-minute walk from St. James Park Station to Westminster Abbey.
- From the Westminster Station, get onto Parliament Street. It is a 4-minute walk from this station to the abbey.
Getting to Westminster Abbey by Car
- If you plan to drive, you should know that there are no car parking facilities at Westminster Abbey. The nearest car parking facilities are available on Great College Street which is a 3-minute walk from the abbey.
- The Waterloo Car Park on York Road is a 24-hour parking facility and is a 15-minute walk from the abbey.
- The Q-Park Victoria on Arneway Street is also open for 24 hours and is an 8-minute walk from the abbey.
Directions to Westminster Abbey
- Once you get out of the station, head east on Victoria Street towards Strutton Ground for about 200 m. Turn right at the Sanctuary to get to Westminster Abbey.
- You can also turn left onto Broadway from Victoria Street and then turn right towards Tothill Street. You can then head towards the Sanctuary to get to Westminster Abbey.
- From the Westminster Station, head south on Parliament Street towards Bridge Street. Take a slight left onto St. Margaret Street and head onto the crosswalk. Then take a right to get to Westminster Abbey.
- Alternatively, you can head further down St. Margaret Street and get onto the crosswalk. You will then have to take a left to get to Westminster Abbey.
- The easiest route to Westminster Abbey is to head straight on Victoria Street to Westminster Abbey. Once you exit Victoria Station, head towards Wilton Road. You will then have to get onto Victoria Street and head straight for about 600 m. Turn right at the Sanctuary to enter Westminster Abbey.
- Alternatively, you can turn left onto Bressenden Place and get onto the Cardinal walk. Turn left onto Palace Street and then right onto Castle Lane. Then head towards Buckingham Gate and then onto Petty France. Continue straight towards Tothill Street and then head towards the Sanctuary.
- As you exit the Waterloo Station, head down the stairs and get onto York Road. Continue straight and then turn right onto the Westminster Bridge and then turn left onto Parliament Square.
- From Parliament Square, head down towards St. Margaret Street and take a slight left towards the crosswalk and then take a right to reach Westminster Abbey.
Frequently Asked Questions About Westminster Abbey Location
A. Westminster Abbey is located in London.
A. Westminster Abbey is easily accessible by train, tube and bus. You can also drive down to the abbey.
A. Westminster Abbey is well connected to London’s public transport. We would suggest that you either take a bus or a tube to the abbey.
A. The closest tube station to Westminster Abbey is the Westminster Station, which is just a 4-minute walk away.
A. Many buses stop right in front of the entrance of Westminster Abbey. However, other close by stops include Westminster Abbey Stop X, Abingdon Street and Parliament Square.
A. Unfortunately, there is no parking available at Westminster Abbey. However, there are other car parking facilities available nearby on Great College Street and Arneway Street.