Getting to Kensington Palace | Location, Directions & More
A majestic royal residence located in Kensington Gardens, Kensington Palace is situated at the heart of London city. Discover the home of the Young Royals, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and the luscious gardens at Kensington Palace. If you’re planning a visit and looking for the location, here’s everything you need to know about how to get to Kensington Palace.
Kensington Palace Location
Address: Kensington Palace, Kensington Gardens, London W8 4PX, United Kingdom
Widely popular for being the childhood home of the beloved Queen Victoria, Kensington Palace is today occupied by young royals, Prince William and his wife, Kate Middleton. Within a walking distance from the Royal Albert Hall, Kensington Palace is easily accessible by buses, trains and tubes.
How to Get to Kensington Palace?
- The nearest tube stations are High Street Kensington and Queensway Station.
- From High Street Kensington, you can get onto Kensington High Street that heads towards Kensington Palace. It is a 12-minute walk from here to the palace.
- From Queensway Station, you can get onto the Broad Walk. It will take you about 8 minutes from the station to the palace.
- The closest bus stops are on Bayswater Road and Kensington High Street.
- Bus Routes 70, 94 and 148 stop on Bayswater Road and routes 9, 49, 52, 70 and 452 stop on Kensington High Street.
- Kensington High Street bus stop is about 5 minutes away from the palace. The Bayswater bus stop is about 10 minutes away.
- If you’re traveling by car, you need to know that there are no car parking facilities available at the palace. However, there are other parking facilities available nearby.
- Q-Park Queensway is a paid parking service available near Bayswater Road and is about a 10-minute walk from the palace.
- Euro Car Parks on Bayswater Road is another paid parking service and is also about 10-minutes away from Kensington Palace.
- The closest train station is the Paddington Train Station.
- From Paddington, you can head towards Bayswater Road and then enter Broad Walk to reach the palace.
- It is approximately a 20-minute walk from this train station to the palace.
- You can hire a coach service as well to visit Kensington Palace. However, there is no coach drop-off and collection at Kensington Palace during the Royal Style in the Making exhibition.
- The nearest coach park is available at Euro Car Parks, Orme Square Gate and is an 8-minute walk from the palace.
- You can savor beautiful London sights as you ride a bicycle to Kensington Palace as well.
- You can dock your bicycles at the Black Lion Gate or the Palace Gate inside Kensington Gardens.
- Please note that cycling is not permitted within the gardens or on some paths in Hyde Park.
Best Way to Get to Kensington Palace
If you’re traveling to Kensington Palace through public transport, we recommend that you catch a bus that drops you off directly at the Kensington Palace stop. Buses 9, 49, 52, 70 and 452 stop at Kensington Palace (Stop M), which is just a 5-minute walk from the palace.
However, if you wish to travel by yourself and have the time, we recommend that you bicycle your way to the palace. This way, you will be able to marvel at the everyday scenes in London and also enjoy some street food on the way.
Directions to Kensington Palace
- Get onto Kensington High Street as you exit the High Street Kensington station and head northeast towards Derry Street.
- In about 500 m, turn left onto Dial Walk into the gardens and then head onto Broad Walk.
- Turn right at Studio Walk and then left once again onto Broad Walk and the palace should be on your left.
- As you exit the station, head south towards Bayswater Road.
- Turn right onto Bayswater Road and then left onto Broad Walk.
- Continue straight on Broad Walk for about 500 m and the palace should be on your right.
- Once you exit the station, head onto Craven Road for about 600 m.
- Turn left onto Leinster Terrace and then right onto Bayswater Road.
- Turn left once again onto Porchester Terrace and continue straight for about 500 m.
- Once you reach the Round Pond, turn right towards Broad Walk and the palace should be right in front of you.
- Exit the car park and head east onto Bayswater Road. Turn right at Orme Square and then enter into Diana Memorial Playground.
- Exit on the opposite side of the playground and head onto Broad Walk.
- Continue walking for about 200 m and the palace will be one your right.
FAQs on How to Get to Kensington Palace
A. Kensington Palace is well connected through London public transport. You can either take a bus, tube or train or even drive or ride a bicycle to the palace.
A. If you’re traveling by public transport, we recommend that you catch buses 9, 49 or 70 that stop the closest to the palace (5-minute walk). But if you’re traveling by yourself, you should try to cycle your way to the palace to enjoy some beautiful London sights on your way.
A. If you’re on a budget, catch a bus to the palace which will drop you off at just a 5-minute distance from the palace.
A. The closest tube station to Kensington Palace is the Queensway Station, which is an 8-minute walk from the palace.
A. There are no car parking facilities available at Kensington Palace. However, there are other paid parking facilities available on Bayswater Road.