Kensington Palace | Opening Times, Duration, Best time to visit & More
Located on the western side of Hyde Park, Kensington Palace and its gardens are some of the jewels of London. It is managed by the Historic Royal Palaces charity and attracts over 400,000 visitors every year, making it the third most popular palace in the UK. Find out everything you need to know about Kensington Palace opening times, the best time to visit and getting there details before visiting the palace.
Kensington Palace Opening Times
Summers - 21st April - 31st October
From 7 June - 30 September
Wednesday to Sunday: 10 AM - 6 PM, Last admission at 4:30 PM
From 1 October - 31 October
Wednesday to Sunday: 10 AM - 6 PM, Last admission at 4 PM
Winters - 1st November - 1st March
Wednesday to Sunday: 10 AM - 4 PM, Last admission at 2:30 PM
24th - 26th December: Closed
The Sunken Garden Timings:
Wednesday to Sunday: 10 AM - 3:45 PM
- What are the Kensington Gardens opening times?
Kensington Gardens is open to the public every day at 6 AM. Closing time varies. Please click here for more information.
- How long should I spend at Kensington Palace?
It would take approximately 2-3 hours to fully cover Kensington Palace.
- What is the best time to visit Kensington Palace?
It is highly recommended to visit Kensington Palace post noon, preferably after lunch between 2-3 PM. Most of the tourist groups would have completed their visit by then, giving you enough time to explore the palace.
Route closures from 4th October 2021
- The King’s Drawing Room, The Cupola Room and Queen Caroline’s Closet will be closed for maintenance work.
- The Red Saloon will be open, scaffolding may be in place throughout the room.
- Please note - There may be disturbance of noise caused due to the maintenance work in the King’s State Apartments and Victoria: A Royal Childhood during your visit.
Rooms that will be open during this period:
- Victoria: A Royal Childhood
- King’s State Apartments: The King’s Stairs, The King’s Gallery, The Presence Chamber and The Privy Chamber
- The Queen’s State Apartments
- Royal Style in the Making
Kensington Palace - Cafe & Restaurant Timings
Relax at the in-house cafe or the Pavilion whilst enjoying the mesmerising view of the palace. Check out the Kensington Palace timings for the cafe and restaurant before visiting the attraction
- The Cafe - The Kensington Palace cafe brings you a wide range of hot drinks and refreshment options, along with sandwiches, cakes and ice cream. It is the perfect spot to stop and relax for a quick bite or refreshment after a visit to the palace.
Opening times - 10 AM - 6 PM
- The Pavilion - The Pavilion is the only place in London where you can enjoy a traditional afternoon tea in the grounds of a royal palace. It is open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea.
Opening times - 10 AM - 6 PM
Getting to Kensington Palace
Kensington Palace by Tube
The Queensway & Notting Hill Gate on the Central Line and High Street Kensington station on the District & Circle line are the closest tube stations from the palace.
Kensington Palace by Bus
Take bus numbers 70, 94, 148, and 390 to Bayswater Road or 9, 10, 49, 52, 70, and 452 to Kensington High Street.
Kensington Palace by Train
Kensington (Olympia) and Paddington Station are the closest train stations from Kensington Palace. These stations are a 20 to 25 minute walk away hence tubes or buses that drop you closer are recommended.
Kensington Palace by Car
The palace is located off the A40 Bayswater Road and the A315. From M4 drive until A4 and go until the junction with the B325 and turn left on to Gloucester Road. From here drive until the end of the road and at the A315 junction turn left, to reach the Kensington Palace entrance.
All Your Questions Answered About Kensington Palace Opening Times
A. Visitors are advised to spend at least 2-3 hours to make the most out of their experience.
A. The best time to visit Kensington Palace is post-lunch, around 2 PM - 3 PM. Most of the big tourist groups complete their tours around this time and you'll still have 2 more hours before the Palace closes.
A. Tube and bus are the easiest ways to reach Kensington Palace.